Welcome to Hurricane Season





Yesterday marked the beginning of Hurricane Season, and ironically, a tropical depression in the gulf brought tons and tons of rain yesterday and today. We are SO happy about the rain to help with the drought (and revitalize the plants in the yard), but hope it doesn't mean a lot of actual hurricanes this year. Accordingly, Jeff and I decided to kill the big tree in our front yard that was threatening our roof last weekend. Check out the before and after shot. I get emotionally attached to trees, so I was pretty depressed about this decision, but if this tree would have fallen on our house, it would have been worse. It was a pretty big tree as you can see. So, we had to make a grown-up decision to take it down. So - the next step is to plan the new tropical island for our front yard after we get the stump removed.

3 comments:

Laura said...

That is very hard to do, I know. Especially such a nice big grown tree - we had one like that at our house - it was a live oak, not that pretty, but at least our developers left it there and built around it, which made me really happy. But every time a hurricane would come through we were sweating it.

Chad and Allison Nicholson said...

Boo to hurricane season!

Matt&Liv said...

I agree. This is a very hard decision but definitely a good one. Maybe you can plant a smaller tree in its' place. Have I told you how much I've missed you lately? Well, I have. :)