Birthday with the Dukes...According to my iPhone














Jeff and I had a lovely time this past Friday night celebrating my birthday!  We don't usually do birthdays this big but my parents wanted to keep the kids (and Tyndell really really really loves to stay with them) and Jeff had a voucher he won at a Historic Charlotte silent auction for a night at the Duke Mansion.  I had never stayed a real Bed & Breakfast before, so I was super excited to experience it finally.  We checked in early so we could get changed before going out to dinner uptown Charlotte at Blue - a very cool and delicious Mediterranean restaurant.  I did not know much about it but Jeff had heard it was amazing and thought it was right up my alley - which was definitely true!  We had yummy salad, tagine, cheeses, olives, and caramel cake.  When we got back to room Jeff brought out some Peju he had been saving and it was so nice to have a relaxing conversation without interruptions or crying or screaming over a really good glass of wine.  As nerdy as we are, we took advantage of the quiet and got a really good nights' sleep and had a lovely breakfast onsite.  It was crazy to think that where we were enjoying grits and eggs benedict had been the site of early discussions of Duke University, Duke Power, and the other Duke legacies.  The house was very cozy and interesting and the grounds were gorgeous - my favorite part was the Ginko trees!  It goes without saying that I sure felt like a lucky gal this past weekend! 

0 comments: