
Through the Master's program that I was involved in at Michigan Technological University, I met and was priviledged to work with one of the coolest advisors ever - Jim Mihelcic. He and his wife fall into that category of rare people you meet that you want to be like because you see the incredible influence they have had - they are inspiring and make you want to work hard to make the world a better place. When I think of people that have truly influenced me in my life - I personally have had two teachers that particularly come to mind and Jim is one of the two of them (the other being one of my elementary school teachers).
Well - it has been his vision for a long time to take all the lessons learned from the Peace Corps students and compile them into a field guide textbook - and it's finally complete! If you click on the title link above you can get your own copy of this awesome resource. I am so excited about it because there is nothing like it out there - it really helps to describe sustainable engineering approaches in the developing world for water and sanitation problems. Obviously - I am passionate about water issues because that is what Jeff and I did when we were in Mali and several of the problems and solutions we encountered are described in this textbook...and may I mention that I am credited as a contributor to two chapters (sorry for the plug but I am excited)! Anyway - the wonderful part is that people don't have to recreate the wheel in this context anymore and it will help facilitate faster, better solutions to people of real need. I am so proud of Jim and all that he has facilitated and really excited to have been a part of this project.
I'll find a nice picture of us with Jim and add to this post soon....
1 comments:
Cool! I'm curious to know who the elementary school teacher was! Did you hear that Barbara Sullivan died? :( She was an amazing teacher herself.
Post a Comment