The Trifecta of Trips! - Sonoma/Lake Tahoe/San Francisco 2013


 




  









































































FINALLY I found the time to go through all the pictures from our May 2013 California trip!  There were so many fun ones (though I'm never satisfied with capturing all the moments/details I wanted and I'm still not happy with this camera we use but oh well), but I can only share a few here.  This trip was like 3 trips in one and boy was it BUSY!  I felt like I needed a vacation to recover from this vacation.  We had a blast nonetheless and saw so many wonderful and precious people along the way.  We started out the trip flying from Charlotte to Chicago to San Franciso by waking up at 3am (and I only slept a total of 4 hours the 48 hours before we left b/c of work deadlines, Silas being sick, etc.) and flying out at 6am to arrive in San Fran PST around lunchtime.  Mom A was also flying to meet us from Philly but her flight was delayed and we ended up hanging out for her in the airport for a bit before being able to wrangle the bags/rental car/kid switch-a-roo situation.  Then we parted with the sweet babes as they went with Grandmom to Lake Tahoe and Jeff and I headed up to Sonoma County to begin the Jensen-Biederman wedding festivities for four days.  Of course - we HAD to hit rush hour traffic on the way out so I had to cancel my anticipated spa session and it took us 3 hours before we arrived in Healdsburg, CA.  I was ok with this as all my jetlagged, not slept, recovering from a sick little one brain was telling me was, "Room service and sleep.  Check!  Have fun at the bachelor party Mr. Jeff!"  We stayed at the H2hotel near the Square in Healdsburg and it was absolutely lovely (and LEED certified may I add - very cool).  Luckily for you readers - I do NOT have bachelor party pics here (what happens in Healdsburg - ahem John & Zeke's...stays in Healdsburg).  The next morning as Jeff was rounding up the tuxedo rentals and logistics with the groomsman, I went to my rescheduled spa up the street at the Healdsburg Hotel - it was AH-mazing - pedicure and massage (Happy Belated Mother's Day to me!).  To top of that experience, it was nice to take some time to walk in the sun and window shop before meeting back up with Jeff.  Then we met up with the wedding party a bit north at the Coppola winery and pool to hang for the afternoon which was perfect and filled with laughter, good wine (including the most refreshing mini Sofias!), and gorgeous view (does it get better than a poolside cabana with a view - props to Karen Biederman for that hook-up for the wedding party)!  Jeff left for the rehersal dinner mid-afternoon, so I hung with the boys at the Coppola restaurant and shared some flatbreads and toasts with them (and I got to meet Frankie for the first time!  yay!).  Afterwards, I met up with Jeff at the rehersal dinner at the Seghesio winery with the bride and groom's families.  Good conversation (especially with some notable aunts and uncles), food, and Zinfandel from the Biderman's vineyards were had by all and then several opted to head back over to John & Zeke's downtown to finish the night off and welcome more wedding guests that had just arrived.  After sleeping in as much as jet lag allows and a fantastic breakfast at the hotel, Jeff had a couple of hours to walk around Healdsburg and catch a quick lunch before he had to get ready and join the rest of the groomsmen for pictures before the ceremony.  I got to be girly and take my time in the hotel room getting ready before catching the shuttle up to Trentadue winery, where the wedding was to be held.  It was a gorgeous setting as you can see with white chairs and pinky-purple flowers set in front of the vineyards and sonoma mountainscape.  It really doesn't get any better!  The ceremony was simple and beautiful with words about the types of love to be part of a marriage union, which always makes me tear up in a small but good way.  After the wedding, guests enjoyed tea and wine on the lawn before reconvening indoor for a delicious meal and dancing.  We got to hang with so many of Jeff's old friends and meet some new ones - and I'm not sure I've ever been to another event which had almost every continent covered as far as distance traveled by guests.  You could really feel the love there.  Again - it doesn't get much better!  Once the music ended, we sought out some more and went out to downtown Healdsburg once again!  The whole day was beautiful and wonderful yet exhausting so we both fell into bed immediately once back in the room (and giggled to ourselves at the thought of Stephanie and Jon enjoying some surprise champagne and cupcakes we snuck into their room).  The next day, several of the wedding guests joined Jon and Stphanie for a cruise on Lake Sonoma and we made back to our room just in time to clean up for dinner and take a walk before again, falling right into bed.  I forgot to add that Jeff and I felt so lucky that Jon and Stephanie stayed at the H2 so we actually got to have breakfast with them almost every morning and really talk and catch up.  We really took our time on that last morning since we won't know when the next time we'll see them may be since they live in Abu Dhabi.  We finally had to say our goodbyes to everyone and Healdsburg and be on our way. 

Jeff and I decided to drive down memory lane from our 2010 trip to Napa and drive out of the valley through that direction, visiting our favorite winery, Peju, which of course was the perfect place to stock up before driving to Lake Tahoe to meet Mom A and the kiddos.  It was a beautiful drive to the Lake being above the tree line, seeing some snow, moss-covered evergreens, and lots of cute little cabins.  Tahoe wasn't what I expected but it was so gorgeous regardless!  It was so good to see the kids again and it seemed like Mom A had a blast with them while we were gone.  When we arrived, Tyndell was dying to get into the pool since the weather had not been warm enough yet so we went for a splash with the kids....it was still a little too cold for me so we didn't stay long but Silas seemed to enjoy his first pool experience nonetheless.  We shivered back to the room to change for dinner, which took some time, and then we just turned in for the night.  The next day, we really just wanted to drive and explore the area, so we drove around the entire Lake, stopping here and there to take in the views and take breaks for Silas feedings.  It was a perfect way to see it!  Our favorite was Emerald Cove of course and the Viking-esque castle down by the shoreline.  We liked that area so much that we decided the next day to take a boat cruise into the cove to get a closer look.  It was definitely a nice way to get another perspective and the second floor was indoor with lots of windows for viewing so the kids could stay warm and enjoy snacks.  After the cruise, Jeff went to get a massage (his back had been hurting him most of the trip unfortunately), and Mom A went to get a pedicure and I stayed with the kids while they napped and relaxed.  On our last night in Lake Tahoe, we decided to check out the Hard Rock Cafe b/c well....it just seems like you should try to hit up as many of those as possible in life, right? 

The next morning we drove back to San Francisco and we stayed with Jeff's childhood friend, Jared, while Mom A stayed in a hotel room not too far away.  Jared's apartment was pretty much amazing - you stared right at the Trans America building and overlooked Washington Square from his breakfast table.  After getting parked (this is INVOLVED in San Francisco haha), hauling bags up apartment stairs, and getting repacked up for city walking, we headed out to Fisherman's Wharf to people watch and show the kids the seals at Pier 39.  We grabbed some yummy Italian on the docks and watched the sunset before catching a Sundae at Ghiradelli and a trolley back towards Jared's apartment and Mom's hotel.  I turned in early with the kids while Jeff and Jared stayed up, catching up on old times.  The next day, we got started pretty late in the morning, so we had some brunch at this really fun American Bistro - I think it was called Joe's Place or something similar but Tyndell was cracking me up here b/c she wanted ribs!  I'm not sure where that came from but she was craving them I think and shared a rack with Mom A, which turned out to be perfect portions for them both.  The owner even came by the table at one point to say, "There you go!  Start 'em early!  I like it!"  It was so cute of him.  Once we were fueled up, we set out for Coit Tower, which Jeff loves b/c it has the best view of the city and I think he really wanted to show Mom the sights.  It is definitely a climb and accomplishment to get to the top, but the reward is grand.  I will make a special pause here to dedicate the walk to the top to the Baby Ergo carrier, without which, Silas might have killed me.  I'm so glad we did not use the stroller on this day as it would have slowed us down so much.  We walked down the backside of the Tower hill and then took a little break to feed Silas at Starbucks before heading back to the Wharf to check out the Musee Mechanique, which is one of my favorite places.  I couldn't wait to show Tyndell all the kooky old arcade games and shows. We headed back to Jared's apartment afterwards so that we could get cleaned up and ready to meet his brother, Aaron, for dinner at Tony's Pizza just up the street and I have to say that this was the best and most innovative pizza place I have ever eaten at!  Jeff was able to get a delicous gluten free pizza and the rest of us shared several different types along with salad and chianti.  It was perfect.  Aaron came back to the apartment and we all hung out after some very over-stimulated kids finally went to bed.  We stayed up talking and laughing and I was getting the bags ready for our 3am wake-up to get to the airport.  Ugh - it had come to an end.   As you can see it was a total whirlwind!  Jeff and I love California - this was our fourth trip out there in just a few years' time - we always have a blast and it was fun showing off some of our favorite places from previous trips to Mom and Tyndell (well and Silas too although he won't remember...).  Thanks to Jon and Stephanie for loving each other so much and giving us a great excuse to go back and plan a whole trip around their wedding.  Great times!!

0 comments: