Royal Poinciana Love


Some of you may remember my "Long Road to the Tropical Island" post a couple of years ago (click on the title link for before photos) and I felt the need to remark on the love I have for the Royal Poinciana tree that we planted in February 2008. I was so so sad when we decided to take out the big olive tree that was in our front yard previous (See post from June 2007) b/c it was so big and shaded the whole front yard. But it was an ugly, evasive species and loomed over our roof. So when we replaced it during the Landscape Island project, I told Jeff that I didn't care what kind of tree it was as long as it grew big, FAST, so that I could have my big tree back. Well - I have to say that I am super pleased with the Royal Poinciana choice that we made b/c when we planted it, it was about a 15-foot tall stick and now look at it in this picture (orange flowering tree on the right)! It has done so well and is BIG and pretty with red-orange firey flowers! The island is doing really well and I'm loving the craziness of the Starburst as well.

The other cool thing about this tree is that they were all over Mali when we lived there and I always loved them (who can resist mimosa leaves and orange?). I found a cool picture online of one and it looks just like one of our neighbors' trees!

Ah...simple things can add so much joy!

1 comments:

Chad and Allison Nicholson said...

Yes! I remember your island project...and the island looks great now! Wow, it did grow big really fast! So pretty...and I love that it reminds you of Mali :)

love you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!